Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Eating pains

Anyone who really knows Daniel knows that food is not important to him. I don't know if eating even registers on his list of top ten priorities. For the longest time we have been happy to let him eat burritos, cereal, and waffles because he was at least eating something. Now, at age 5, he is hovering around 30 lbs where he used to be close to 38 lbs. Even eating as he had been he was losing weight so we have been fighting him over food I think since September. (Has it really been that long already?!?) We were making progress for a while but he has started throwing HUGE tempertantrums and spanking was that only way we could get him to even consent to taking a bite of his food. We decided that that was no longer a good option and I am now trying to ignore his tempertantrums and let him go hungry. If he skips a meal, or doesn't finish it (as in a sandwich that I know he could eat all of) he gets it for the next meal. He's told that people who don't eat their food don't get to play so we're trying to make things REALLY boring for him and hope it gets across to him that he is not boss and that he needs to eat his food. I'm really hoping he doesn't go more than a couple of days without eating.
He's such a happy, easy-going kid and has such an imagination. For some reason, eating is where he puts up the biggest stink of all and fights us. it would be nice if he could grow some before starting school. He's currently around the 3rd percentile in weight. Little 3 - year-olds are just as big as him, if not bigger. At least with all of this I'm learning to control my anger and frustration!

5 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

Oh bummer. That is so tough.

Owen is not much of an eater too. We end up bribing, punishing until we are exhausted and still Owen does what he wants. We try to do that if you don't finish it then you get it again when you ask for something to eat or at the next meal thing and it has worked pretty well when we have done it.

Good luck. I feel your frustration.

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Good luck! I hope you find something that works!
Stephen is generally a good eater. Sometimes he will just get up and leave the table saying he is full, and within minutes he comes and asks for a snack...I point to his plate and say he can finish. That works for us.
Skyler, he gets fed like a baby if he wont eat, then usually gets time out, or at least the threat of timeout. He has good days and bad days with eating.

Becca said...

Bethany, I would be happy to share the pattern for the training pants. You could probably just cut it down a little for your daughter. I'm in Pleasant Grove. Are you close by or should I mail it to you? Or I could try scanning it.. What would work best for you? Becca

Mel said...

sad! :( good luck! i know that is hard to have a picky eater, but it sounds like daniel is REALLY picky. with jaden we have been making him take a "no thank you bite" of everything we have on the table. it must be a whole spoonful, and after it goes "all the way to his tummy" he can decide if he wants to eat more or say no thank you. seems to be helping very slowly. hang in there.

Mele said...

How's Daniel doing lately? Hope things are going well.
I just tagged you on my blog. Check it out :)