Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My garden

There were several things that I never thought I would take an interest in, let alone like or get excited about when I was younger, such as sewing, or canning, or growing a garden let alone eating the things that you can grow in a garden.  Yet here I am excited as can be about my garden. 
We built up the box and then I got so excited that I bought too many plants and so I had to put them in the tubs.  I learned last year that to help the soil hold moisture better, that I need to cut holes in the sides and not on the bottom.  If the planter doesn't have a hole on the bottom the water won't drain out as quickly.  I also found something to do with my newspapers. I try to recycle the newspapers but I always forget to take them to the recycle bin and then I just throw them away because I'm so sick of them being in the way. Now I can use them as mulch.  It works great!  I don't have to worry about weeds, it's very cheap, and it eventually turns into soil.   Now I guess we'll just have to learn how to like all the vegetables that are growing.  I planted zuchinni, 4 kinds of bell peppers, carrots, peas, string beans, potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, canteloup, watermellon, and strawberries.  We're going to be building up another box for next year.  Maybe two.

1 comment:

Mele said...

How fun! I love to garden...just trying to balance the kids so I can get the soil ready this year. ha ha