Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm still here!

It's been a few weeks since I posted, it's been kinds busy. Just over two weeks ago Mike had to go to California for a seminar for work and silly me decided that I didn't want to stay home with the kids by myself for a week so we went up to Mike's parents house in Oklahoma. We had fun and went to the Tulsa zoo and got free adjustments (Mike's dad is a chiropractor, thanks dad!) and then Mike came back which was the highlight of my week. Poor Mike, ever since he got back, Emily has been mad at him and won't let him hold her happily as much because he left her for so long. She's finally just starting to be happy to let Mike hold her even when I'm around.
Emily is starting to sleep through the night!!! YAY!!! I'm VERY happy about that. She is also scooting around the floor. I think she mostly goes backwards and turns in circles but she is able to get around the room. It's only a matter of time before she starts crawling. Although we could have sworn that she was teething 3 months ago, she still has no teeth and there are no signs of them coming in. That's good for me because she likes to chew. One bite with abruptly end her time of nursing.
Daniel really wants to go to school this fall and I've been trying to find a preschool for him or to see if there was a way that he could start kindergarten a year early. This has been very frustrating to me. There are lots of places in the phone book under the listing of "Preschool" so you'd think that I'd have plenty of choices for a place where he could go 3 times a week for a couple hours each day. Think again. As I called down the list each place had a price of $100 + for a week, yes a week, and they are open from 6:30am to 6:30 pm and they spread the curriculum from 9-3. Oh wait I know what this is, they are all daycare centers!! They only call themselves preschools so that parents don't feel so bad for dropping their kids off at a daycare all day. So there really isn't anything available there but the elementary school does have a preschool program. However, you have to qualify for it by either having a parent in the military or being a low-income family. Since it is a government sponsored program they get new requirements each year but they don't get the new ones until the beginning of August. Kind of stupid since school starts around august 20th. Well, preschool is out so on to kindergarten. No one will let a child start early even if they miss the deadline by a day. GRRR. This is especially frustrating, although expected, because Daniel already knows everything that he needs to, and probably more, for kindergarten. So, we are going to try homeschooling for the next year and see how we do with it. If Daniel can learn and we can get organized and be consistent enough with it and are all doing good and liking it, we will continue with homeschooling. Otherwise we'll have to rethink the scary public schools.
We enjoyed listening to conference and being a part of the solemn assembly and be able to sustain Pres. Monson and the other church leaders.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Did you know that I was homeschooled? Not when I was little, but my youngest siblings didn't go to school until Junior High. Anyway--we have a preschool co-op in our area. It's 2 days a week and we each take a week. One of the moms organized themes for each week, so we follow that in planning our little lessons. It's nice because I know that twice a week for 2 hours, I will be able to get something done! And, if you have 5-6 moms, you only teach once every 5-6 weeks. It's great!